Sunday 13 April 2003

What do you say to someone who has lost 2 close friends within a span of four months, both from car crashes? I feel so helpless right now. Want to say something that would cheer her up, but there really isn’t anything that I can say that would make things better is there? I could quote her the usual Bible texts, but we’ve all heard it before. I’m not dismissing God whatsoever. I know He cares, and at the rate this world is spiralling towards its own destruction, it probably is a jolly good thing that the better and purer of us gets taken away before it gets any worse. And yet the loss is real. To know that someone whom you love dearly is no longer around. How do you ease the emptiness and pain in your heart?

Nat and I went to the Central London Church this morning with David. It was a pretty good sermon that we heard actually, about facing our fears, and most importantly, of not having to fear because God is with us – 366 verses in the Bible where God tells us not to fear – enough to last us for a whole year (even a leap one!). Met up with Gemma who’s here on a conference. Can you imagine, her uni paid for her flight from Australia to England! Should have taken Chemistry in uni as well. Then again, maybe not. Anyway, she was the one who told Nat the news.

I really don’t know what to say or think. People are just dying around me left, right and centre. How do you deal with the heartache? How do you comfort people who have lost dear ones? I remember years ago when I was much younger, death never seemed real then. But now, it’s real. Oh so real. And no matter how many times you receive news of deaths, it hits you so hard every time. I guess that’s when we hold on to our faiths, and look forward to the day when we will all meet in heaven again. In the meantime, the only thing I can do is sit next to Nat, and hold her while she cries.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...