Friday 13 February 2004

Weeks of unemployment is extremely bad for my mental health. Besides being bored to the brink of insanity, I am now beginning to question my point of existence.

I feel absolutely useless and can find no meaning to my life. Of course, before I cause all of you to panic, I am not suicidal. I’m just in a blasé mood because I have nothing to do.

It’s not just being unemployed that is doing it to me. It’s the whole point of working. I am just not entirely sure why I want to work for a corporation whose sole purpose is to maximise profit, horde up millions of dollars, at the expense of others.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate money. In fact, you can give me all the money that you’ve got and I will thank you sweetly for it.

It’s just the point of it all.

We spend 8 to 9 hours a day slogging away, earning money, but all for a company that, besides promoting consumerism and materialism, is not doing anything to better the state of the world. Yes, it’s helping the economy, but somehow, I feel there’s got to be more to work than that.

I don’t want to work just to earn money. I want to work for something I believe in. I want to work for an organization that actually does something to help the world. I don’t want to promote inane and senseless things that does not help a person’s life. I want something more meaningful than that.

Then I realise that I have a BA in Communications. Mass media. Public Relations. Writing.

It’s all about consumerism. It’s not like a degree in Medicine, or Social Affairs or Development Studies. It’s about entertainment and in entertainment, it’s more like choosing between the devil and the deep blue sea than the simple choice of good and evil.

Can I actually find a job that I’m qualified in, and yet be able to contribute to a better world?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...