Monday 15 August 2005

I am getting so dazed and confused it even shows on my face and voice.

Jeanelle walked into my office with a concerned look on her face, wondering if I was ok.

I had a guy on the phone asking if I was alright after I started talking to him for about 10 seconds.

Have basically been spending the last few hours surfing the Net, reading the various online newspapers, finding news relating to or produced by various Christian denominations all around the world. All that clicking, reading and jotting down of notes must have gotten to me.

Am doing this for the business meeting at the end of the month. Trying to find out what the important news are right now, in which our world church leader can comment on. Pitching stories, making news. That's what I'm supposed to be doing right now.

Which made it really interesting when I stumbled (well, not really stumbled. I visit this site regularly) across this article. Excerpt:
I did a research paper a few years ago on the media theory known as Agenda Setting. It basically asserts that the public views the relative importance of news issues by the frequency with which they see them in the media. The Tsunami disaster was all over the news for weeks, and thus people grew concerned and viewed the issue as important, even personal. Similarly devastating events like the Sudan crisis, however, received next to no coverage in the media. Thus, if you ask the person on the street how important the Sudanese plight is to them, they might respond with “Is Sudan one of those AIDS countries?”
Which means that technically, what I'm researching on right now most likely isn't the most important news per se. Just something the media happened to be interested in.

No wonder I'm beginning to get a little frustrated about the statements I feel the church should make but can't because, well, the media isn't interested, which translates to the fact that the rest of the world isn't.

1 comment:

Kitty Cheng said...

it's frustrating isn't it? what a pity!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...