Thursday 18 August 2005

I couldn't help but have a giggle when I read about Sweden's Living Library. (Yup, I'm back to reading the news for interesting stuff yet again.)

Excerpt:
It is hoped a Swedish library project that allows people to "borrow" a human may provide useful insight into those with different beliefs, sexual orientation or lifestyles....It is not clear whether the library will impose late-fees if borrowers are late returning their loans.
It's a real great idea, this attempt to address discrimination and misunderstanding. If people actually take time to listen to other people's beliefs, prejudices may be diminished.

But will people actually be bothered to "borrow" these people?

Would prejudiced people be happy to retain their prejudices, instead of actively seeking to understand others?

And how weird would it be, to rock up to the librarian and go "hmmm...can I borrow...him?"

And what if the person on loan never gets borrowed? What would happen to his/her frail ego?

What if I borrowed someone and decided to keep him? Heh heh...

2 comments:

Ida said...

I wish they would start this thing in Göteborg too. I think it's a great idea! Although I doubt beople with prejudices will "borrow" these people. Sometimes even Sweden can be funny. :)

Kel said...

cool idea

you sure find interesting things Mel - thanx for sharing

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...