Thursday 6 October 2005

Talk about six degrees of separation.

Met up with my friend Leanne last night and she told me a really bizarre story.

She was at a restaurant on the Central Coast (about an hour away from Sydney) with her boyfriend a few months ago when she noticed that a guy at the next table could not stop glancing at her. Having never seen him before, she merely attributed it to his lapse of sanity and continued with her dinner.

While waiting at the entrance of the restaurant as her boyfriend was settling the bill, the guy approaches her, smiling, hands outstretched and asked, "Melody right? I'm so-and-so." (I'm not hiding his name to protect his privacy. Leanne honestly forgot his name.)

Leanne gives him a confused look and said, "Huh? What? Which Melody do you mean?" (Please, don't ask why she asked such a strange question.)

Guy: "Melody Tan right? I'm so-and-so from Sanitarium."

Leanne: "Er, no...but I am friends with Melody."

Upon which the guy apologises and slinks back to his table, embarrassed, leaving behind a rather confused Leanne.

What are the chances of that?

Firstly, Leanne, although Chinese, does not look anything like me.

Secondly...how? It's not as if there was anything on Leanne that said we knew each other, or were even remotely associated with each other. Besides, she was eating in a restaurant an hour away from where I live. In an area I don't frequent.

How? How can you approach a complete stranger thinking that she was someone else, only to realise that she's actually friends with who you thought she was?

Thirdly, I don't think I know any guy working in Sanitarium. I've worked with people from Sanitarium, but the ones I've met were females. Although with my terrible memory, I'm not surprised if I'd simply forgotten. But still.

How bizarre.

5 comments:

Della said...

Those sort of moments are bizarre!

Earlier this year a freaky thing like that happened to me. I was talking with an old friend from South Australia on MSN and he mentioned that he was going up to around Kadina for the weekend... I said that I used to have some close friends in the area.

He asked who, I told him, and it turns out that he was best friends with this guy I was friends with way back in like 1995 or so! And we figured out that we'd met each other before we'd actually met each other formally and made friends about seven years later...

Definitely a Twighlight Zone sort of moment!

Especially because that day in the morning, I'd gotten out the dream catcher that the guy's sister had made and hung it up, thinking about the 'good old days' in '95 or so *lol*

But I'm just rambling... so I shall stop... riiiiight... now *lol*

Kitty Cheng said...

yes this is really bizarre!

kris said...

And strangely enough, the man who approached leanne reads this blog. Now you've REALLY embarrassed him;)

Melody said...

hey, at least I didn't mention his name!

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

Stranger than fiction occurrences do occur. That the stranger mentioned your name could be a coincidence. And his luck ran out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...