Tuesday 27 December 2005

My brother poked his head through the gap of the front door and took a step back, going, "What the?"

My mother stared at me for a full five seconds before throwing off the blanket and jumping out of bed, exclaiming, "What are you doing here?"

Faith, on the other hand, simply stood rooted to the spot, spatula in one hand, hyperventilating.

My aunt was slightly more straightforward. She merely yelled "Melody!" at the train station.

I may just get used to this whole business of surprising people. Seeing the shocked look on their faces, their eyes widening and the step back from the unexpected sight of me was somehow strangely satisfying.

Been back home in Singapore for a week now and well, it's good to be back. Hanging out with my brother again, spending time with my mom, catching up with friends, basking in old familiarity and yet experiencing it from changed perspectives, having wonderful Indian, Chinese, Thai food without actually having to cook for myself (I think I've gained several kilos already), being a complete nerd and stocking up on my books and CDs...

By the end of my six weeks here, I think I'd be loathe to return to Sydney!

1 comment:

David Hamstra said...

O, there's no place like home for the holidays...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...