Monday 18 June 2007

I've recently got to thinking about climate change and its impact on Christians.

I've personally had a burden for the environment since my teenage years, trying to support recycling, the reduction of energy consumption and the likes, as best as I could. I'm not talking tying one self to the tree kind of activities, but just simple things one can do to reduce one's impact on the world.

But is this a Christian response, or a personal response?

The reason why I wonder this is because there are many non-Christians out there who are doing wonderful things advocating for the environment.

And on the contrary, there are plenty of Christians whose lifestyles and habits reflect a lack of care and concern for the limited resources that are available to them.

Should not Christians be the better stewards for a world that was bestowed to them by God?

Or maybe it's because of a Christian belief that Jesus will return soon, the world will end and so we don't really need to worry about limited resources because by the time they run out we will all be in heaven?

I don't know. And it frustrates me.

It frustrates me because I don't know whether I'm a closet tree-hugger who happens to be Christian, or I'm just stuck in a climate of general apathy.

It frustrates me because not knowing means not knowing how best to communicate the need to care for our environment.

It frustrates me because I wonder if the little bit that I'm doing is actually going to make a difference when the rest of the world acts otherwise.

It frustrates me because I'm not sure if my actions are futile, meaningless or perhaps stupid.

And I guess it frustrates me because I don't feel that enough people care.

But should anyone?

1 comment:

kris said...

of course we should care. I have found many christians who are passionate about caring for the enviroment...i've also met christians who don't, on grounds that Jesus will come back before we run out of resources. I think this attitude is highly egocentric. While Christ may have died to save us from sin, it doesn't mean that it automatically saves us from consequences. What is to say that Christ won't let us deal the the consequences of our actions for a while...(for the last 2000 years that has been his MO) In my opinion, we should be working hard to take care of what has been given to us and stop treating it as if its a second rate toy to be discarded for a new one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...