Monday 2 June 2008

Analysis...over-analysis?

It's not every day that one sees her work being analysed like a literature text by others.

Right in front of her.

Had a meeting this afternoon about a weekly current affairs/talk show that we do. In it, I wrote a 70 second editorial and we were discussing the contents of it today.

It was the most bizarre experience.

Two of the team members were having a rather heated discussion about what "the author is trying to say".

Yes, I'm the author, and I'm sitting right there. But it was not a matter of "what are you trying to say Melody?". It was more like "this is what I think she's trying to say."

Somehow, I felt a lot like Virginia Woolf or Shakespeare or someone, whose literary piece is being critiqued and anaylsed by a classroom of budding English literature students.

I also wanted to put my hand up and say, "Guys, you don't have to guess what I'm thinking, I'm right here. I'll tell you."

The only problem was that some of the analysis, while it made sense, was certainly not what I was trying to say. In fact, far from it. I had no intention whatsoever of giving any of that kind of impression.

And yet, there was a logical argument backing it up, like any good English essay should.

But it made me sit back and smile and wonder (yes, all this while the discussion was still going on) as to whether we tend to over-analyse what the great writers are trying to say while in English Lit classes?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...