Thursday 4 September 2008

Hearing from God

Been going through the book of Acts in my Bible study group these last few months and yesterday, we came across something that really struck a chord with me.

Since converting to Christianity, I have had constant struggles with trying to figure out God's will for my life.

You stand at the crossroads of life and it's about choosing do I go here, or do I go there?

And the answer is usually: actually, you can go here or there.

But why can't God just tell me exactly where he wants me?! In fact, it would be rather nice if God can just talk to me and tell me what kind of direction I should head and what path I should take.

Alas, no.

But it made me feel so much better to know that even Paul, one of God's strongest advocates in Bible times, the one who spent more than 20 years of his life wandering around the ancient Roman empire, did not have that much more access to God.

True, he had extremely close encounters with God. But when you read the Bible, you realise that out of his 20 odd years of being on the very front line of God's work, God really only directly spoke with him, well, five or so times?

It's not a very good average, when you think about it. That's like having God talk to you only once every four years.

But it helps to encourage me. It tells me that I can keep living life, doing the best that I can to glorify God and walk with him, and when the time is necessary, he will talk to me. Not everyday, not when I want it to happen, but when the need arises, I will hear from God.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...