Sunday 23 November 2008

Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree

I don't really see the point of spending money on a Christmas tree that will be displayed for only a few weeks in a year. And it's not just the cost of the Christmas tree. The many ornaments that go on to the Christmas tree is enough to send someone broke.

But I liked the idea of a Christmas tree. And so one day, while walking the dog with D at the back of my flats, I stumbled upon what would become my Christmas tree.


Yes, that piece of branch.

I stuck it into an old juice glass bottle and bought some red pebbles for some Christmas cheer.


Then I gathered the raw materials.


Some photos printed on normal paper, using some pretty pictures from A Print a Day as background. Simply used a needle and some unwanted yarn and poked a hole through the top of the paper and tied it to the branch.


I tried making a wreath as well using some junk mail that was lying around.

However, it was really heavy card stock and made it slightly harder to fold and stuff. Looked good though, and cost nothing. If more junk mail appear in my letterbox in the next few days, I may embark on more wreath making.

Behold, my "Christmas" tree.


Total cost: $2 - for the red pebbles.

4 comments:

Richard Lawry said...

That reminds me of the Christmas trees that my grandparents had when I was a child. The lived in an area of Kansas that had no evergreen trees. They would go out into the woods and get a small sapling similar to yours to bring home and decorate. Of course it didn't have any leaves. Thanks for the memories. :)

An Arkie's Musings

Ali said...

Very cool. I have a twig tree too - it began as a Halloween thing and has stayed, because I am fond of it.

Lovely wreath - bet it has you wishing for more junk mail!

Anonymous said...

Melody-Thank you what a wonderful idea. With a state of our economy - the simple things take on a whole new meaning.

Clansi said...

brilliant idea! Might have to employ this one myself :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...