Monday 2 August 2010

Flip-top mittens


Being a cold frog, I'm always extremely susceptible to the cold, particularly when it comes to my hands and feet.

I'd been using fingerless gloves for a while now because I love the ease of which I can still use my fingers for stuff. My hands feel a little claustrophobic when I'm wearing gloves and needing to do stuff.

And yet, it's not perfect. My poor little fingers still get cold. Sometimes to the point where I curl my fingers in underneath where the fingerless gloves end.

Well, gone are those days thanks to this wonderfully versatile flip-top mittens! Wear them as mittens to warm your hands when you're just walking and not needing your hands for anything. And when you need to pick something up, or actually use your fingers, pop your fingers from underneath the "hood", button the flap down and viola! Fingerless gloves!

The only downside I suppose is the fact that the thumb is not as versatile and always completely covered, but hey, unless I can be bothered to do a flip-top thing for the thumb too, I think I can live with one thumb covered.

I used the dorset buttons that I made previously and the match perfectly and beautifully!

Pattern here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I can help your problem. A couple of years ago I bought USB warming mittens (they are amazing BTW). Anyway they use the same concept of fingerless gloves with mitten flaps. But the thumbs can little slits in them near the base of the thumb that you can stick the thumb through. As you can see on the photos here, http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0356

Hope this helps.

Melody said...

Hee hee! The little thumb flap's so cute! Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...