Wednesday 20 July 2011

East Africa Drought


I am ashamed to say that life has gotten so hectic lately that I have failed to keep up with what's happening around the world. Thankfully, exercising on the cross-trainer at the gym gives me some opportunity to catch up a little bit on my news and that was when I came across this rather sad piece yesterday.

Africa is in strife. Again.

Yes, it happens way too often and it can be quite demoralising. I guess more for them than for us, considering they're living through it. But it just makes me sad that no matter how hard (or little?) we try to help, it still doesn't seem to make a difference.

But this doesn't mean we should stop helping. No indeed. Coz if we did, then they wouldn't even get that little bit of help. I'd like to believe that it's simply about helping, not about the quantity. So even if it means helping only one person, it's still helping that one person.

Anyway, the latest is that Kenya and Somalia are in drought and people are starving to death. From what I heard, it's the worst food shortage they've faced in 60 years. Which probably makes it on an even worse scale than in the 1980s when your parents started saying, "Don't waste food, there are starving children in Ethiopia."

It's bad. People are hungry. They are going to aid organisations for help but these aid organisations are not equipped enough to help the overwhelming number of people.

Will you help?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...